c a l l e d


(pictures by janelle)
(originally posted this on my main blog, but decided to post it here too.)

where to start, where to start. (this is going to get really long. I just know it.)

Matthew 25:40: "and the King will answer them, ‘truly, I say to you, as you did it to one of the least of these my brothers, you did it to me.’" Mark 16:15: "He said to them 'go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation"

when I was a little bit younger (think middle school) my church started putting on missions trips for the middle schoolers and the high schoolers. I never went on them, it wasn't for money reasons or because certain people weren't going, it was just because I had no desire to go serve. wait, what? Did I seriously just admit that? Yessss. I just went there. I really had no desire to serve at all. I was selfish, I am selfish. Aren't we all?

I don't think I really ever thought to myself that I didn't need to serve, or that I didn't want to serve, it wasn't like that, I just felt like the money you paid to drive or fly a few states away didn't make sense to me. Poverty in the United States is an odd thing, it's so so much different then anywhere else. It's hard not to judge the ones who need help here, think about it. People are weary of giving money because we have a reason to believe it'll go to drugs or alcohol or something else that won't even help their situation. The fact that us filthy rich americans just throw money out at car windows could be the worse thing for them. They need Jesus. I don't believe that going a few states away is a bad waste of missions, that's not what I'm saying at all. Everyone needs Jesus, everyone needs water, food, loving, etc.

but sometimes I think there is a bigger calling, to love the least of these. To get out of your comfort zone, to go sleep on the cement floor, to go where you have to walk miles to get water, live off tiny bits of food.... I want to go. I want to get up, leave, and go. I want to tell so many of the little ones about Jesus, I want to not only fill up their bellies, but fill up their souls.

Obviously the point I'm getting it is, I feel like I've been called to something big, something more then the typical serve at a food shelter, something more then talking to a homeless man for an hour at a mcdonalds, something more. 

I don't know what it is yet, but I know I'll be led to what's right for me, and where I'm supposed to serve. I couldn't be more excited for this opportunity, one of the things I'm most excited for is just giving it all away. I want to be changed so much, I want to realize what it's like, and get out of my day to day routine of living my way. I really couldn't be more excited and ready for this. I'd love if you joined me in prayer. Prayer for location, for money, for what I'm supposed to do. I need guidance.

Lord, send me.

1 comment: